Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Working Title 4

Rain soaks his black suit. The white dress shirt becomes heavy on his skin. He's frozen in place, staring at the grave. Grief rolls over him, leaving him motionless. Minutes march by. He brings his voice to a shout and tells the spirit of his grandmother, "I'm sorry I lied to you! I don't know how to make this right, but I will try until I can't try anymore. I love you," his voice trails off in tears. Distraught, hurt, confused, he walks away. As the downpour of water and sadness increases, his life changes, greater than ever before.

Finding his way to the car he fumbles through the console of his car and grabs his cell phone. Tears and raindrops have mixed to run down his face and he winces at his reflection in the sun visor mirror. A male voice answers, "Hey son, we tried to call you several times. You haven't been home?", his dad asks angrily and worriedly. "No. Dad, I don't know what to do. It has to change. I lied to my grandmother about being happy. I haven't been happy for so long, I need...I need..I nee," he rambles. "Come here. We'll figure it all out. Is my granddaughter ok?" He answers, "Yeah, she's asleep. I checked on her." He starts driving away from the cemetery and texts his lawyer cousin. "I need to get it done. I need to change my life. Help me."

Suzann looked across the room and immediately hugged him, hard, for what seemed like hours. he had just told her how low, vulnerable, broken he was just 3 years earlier. They were baring all of their souls as if they were on trial for their characters. They were sprinting to the truth. Running away from the years of heartbreak the walls they had built were housing. 'She kept smiling, every other word she spoke, every other word he spoke; saying I love you." It was comforting and close. They faded into sleep telling each other, no secrets.

Naked and dazed, he walked across the dark room,stumbling through his memory to spare himself turning on the light. His head ached. He began to sweat. His hands shook as he pulled the small black box from his dresser. He decided to make one desperate, last-ditch emotional show of vulnerability to her. A voice came from the back of darkness near the window with broken blinds, revealing the sun rising. "Honey, what are you doing?", she asked. He turned, grabbed her arm leading her to the dawn. Kneeling on his left knee, he opened the box.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhh how romantic. draws in a full deep breath and thinks that's a beautiful way to fall into another... simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete